Senior Internal Auditor
Responsible for directly supervising the Internal Audit area. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of this unit. Responsibilities include; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist the Supervisory Committee, Board of Directors and all members of management by providing objective analysis, independent appraisals, and pertinent comments concerning the activities reviewed.
- Develop, plan, direct and maintain a management oriented audit plan that covers auditing all departments and operations within the credit union environment. This audit plan is to be prepared by the Sr. Internal Auditor and Internal Auditor to be presented to the Supervisory Committee, CEO, COO, and CFO for approval. While working through the Audit Plan audits, work papers should be verified to ensure proper checks and balances.
- Work with management, regulators, and the Supervisory committee to establish, monitor, and improve the credit union's internal control systems and procedures to deter employees from committing fraud or becoming involved in dishonest acts.
- Supervise the internal auditor in the task of performing the duties and expectations listed in the job description. Prepare the annual review for the internal auditor, with the CFO to be included in the process.
- Must be available for the NCUA, DFI, and external auditors while they perform their scheduled audits/reviews. Work with various external auditors to receive current audit proposals for the third party services, and presents these proposals to the Committee and management. Serve as a liaison between the external audit firms and the Supervisory Committee to ensure that the necessary external audits are scheduled on a timely basis.
- The Internal Audit department must always maintain the strictest level of confidentiality within all areas of the credit union. The ability to motivate and influence others is an important part of the job that requires a significant level of discretion and trust in addition to being courteous and tactful to co-workers. The job involves extensive personal contact with others that can be of a sensitive nature. Obtaining cooperation both internally and externally is the most important facet of the job and is instrumental in performing it successfully for the benefit of the credit union.
- Analyzes data obtained for evidence of deficiencies within the credit union in controls, duplication of effort, fraud, or lack of compliance with laws, government regulations, and management policies or procedures.
- Review the integrity and reliability of financial information and the methods used to identify, measure, and report such information.
- Maintain complete files documenting audit procedures used, and all completed audit reports.
- Audit employee and official family accounts (including loans), and report to the Supervisory Committee and President/CEO on an annual basis.
- At the direction of the Supervisory Committee, investigate member complaints related to potential internal control problems or deficiencies in operations that could affect the credit union's financial safety.
- Conducts special studies for the Supervisory Committee, CEO, COO, and/or CFO such as those required to discover mechanics of detected fraud and to assist in developing controls for fraud prevention.
- Keep informed of all regulatory and industry changes affecting the credit union. Participate in professional organizations and obtain necessary continuing education.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned and remain independent without interference or censorship from management.
- Represent and promote the Credit Union professionally and positively within the community.
- Ensure compliance with all internal controls and established policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential/sensitive information in a professional manner.
- Comply with the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
- Service oriented mindset with high level of detail orientation.
- Ability to organize, analyze and interpret data and make recommendations compatible with Credit Union standards and regulatory requirements.
- Exceptional research and problem solving skills; ability to think strategically.
- Computer proficiency.
- Stress management/composure.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Leadership and supervisory skills.
- Valid license.
This position has limited supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Physical presence in the office setting is required.
This position requires manual dexterity, the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. This position requires bending, stooping or standing as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work flexible schedule Monday through Friday.
Periodic travel to other FCU locations is required.
Required Education and Experience
- B.A. /B.S. in Business or equivalent experience (graduate level courses in business and/or, finance).
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in internal audit, public accounting, financial analysis or contract compliance auditing. Experience with a credit union or bank highly desirable.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Previous experience as a Sr. Internal Auditor preferred.
- Previous experience with a credit union highly desirable.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Project management experience preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.